We are delighted to serve you with our frequently asked questions. The employees and managers with Happy Little Dumpsters pride themselves with outstanding customer service. We're here to help you with your junk removal, remodeling or clean-out project. Below you'll find the most helpful, and frequent questions we hear from our valued customers.
When Will My Dumpster Be Picked Up?
Your Dumpster will be picked up when you tell us to pick it up. You tell us what day you want the Dumpster delivered Monday through Friday, and we'll use our assets to the best of our ability to deliver it on that day. After you use it and you're done with it, you then let us know you're done with it and we'll pick it up the next day Monday through Friday. We require a record of you asking us to pick up the dumpster. The preferred way to notify us is:
- Use the voicemail option, by calling us at 888-33-HAPPY and press 1, then leave your message
- Visit the dumpster pick-up page at happylittledumpster.com/pickup and send your request.
Note: If the dumpster sits there longer than 30 days without being swapped out, it is assumed you are not using it, so we will pick it up after 30 days.
What are we doing to keep you & us safe from the Coronavirus/COVID-19
We have taken some additional steps to help protect our customers and employees from the COVID-19.
From the start, we have been social distancing experts! Our whole operation can be done without any in-person to in-person interaction! The ordering, pick up, and delivery process can all be done via phone, email, or text.
We have implemented a sanitizing process on every dumpster move. We will be spraying down the door of every dumpster, every time we touch it. Also, we are sanitizing the exterior doors (handles, too) when we leave a dumpster at a customer's location. Our employees will periodically be cleaning and sanitizing their equipment, interior, and exterior of the trucks.
Taking everyone's health and safety is part of our daily operations now more than ever!
What Services Do You Provide?
We are a transportation & hauling service focused on junk & waste removal. We provide scrap metal removal, junk removal, waste removal, & hauling services. All services are coupled with using a dumpster.
What is included in using a Happy Little Dumpster?
- Dropping off a Happy Little Dumpster
- The permission to use the dumpster according to our guidelines
- Picking up the dumpster
- The included hauling fees, and
- Disposing of the contents according to Virginia Department of Environmental Quality's policies and regulations
- Note: if you go over the included weight of your dumpster size, the weight overage vary's between $45/ton and $60/ton. This depends on the current cost of the disposal facility we may use.
Can you place the Dumpster in my backyard?
Short Answer: We strongly caution against driving on and/or placing dumpsters on grass or dirt.
Our dumpsters and trucks are "Driveway Friendly." As we enjoy making your dumpster rental worth your while, we recommend placing the dumpster on a solid, stable surface, such as concrete, gravel or asphalt. Rest assured, however we protect your driveway with wooden boards to avoid stressing the surface.
Although our trucks are all 4 wheel drive, the weight of the dumpster over the rear axle plus the weight of the debris is so heavy, that the wheels easily get buried in the ground, especially after it has rained, or snowed. This results in damage to your turf, and our trucks possibly getting stuck on your property. In the event we require a wrecker/recovery service to haul our trucks off your property, you'll be stuck with the wrecker bill! Again, we will never advise our trucks or dumpsters be parked on grass, or a field of any kind.
May I over-fill the dumpster?
No. It is illegal to travel United States roadways with debris not contained within the confines of the container. All debris MUST not be above the top edge of the container. Yes, we do tarp the dumpsters, but that is to insure debris doesn't fly out, not to increase the volume the container was designed to hold.
When you tell us that your dumpster is ready to be picked up, you are also insuring that the dumpster is not overfilled, it's not full of heavy material (like dirt, asphalt, concrete or gravel), the rear doors are closed and properly secured, and there's no hazardous material in it. If the dumpster is found to not actually be road-ready, you're likely be paying additional fees.
What Material Can We Not Haul?
This is one of or most diverse frequently asked questions. It really depends on where you want us to take the material. If it's recyclable, many times there's no disposal fee. Recyclables should go in a separate dumpster so they're not mixed in with trash. We will bring you a scrap metal dumpster for metal, and appliances, and even appliance with freon, such as refrigerators, air conditioners and freezers. Food and all contents should be removed from fridges and freezers. If it's donate-able items, we'll take them to a donation center free of charge. You can read more about what can and can't take on our dumpster rental services page. But we are not a hazardous waste hauler, and we can't accept:
- Oil Products
- Flammable Material
- No liquids of any kind
Just have a conversation with us. We're resourceful people who like to make our customers happy, and we can come up with a solution together as long as we communicate openly about your project.
What's The Size of a Happy Little Dumpster?
Happy Little Dumpsters sizes vary. We have sizes from 10 feet long, to 12 feet long. They can carry loads as small as 2 pickup truck loads to 15 pickup truck loads. Our Dumpster Rental Service Page explains in detail
How Soon In Advance Should I Place My Order?
The more time ahead, the better. However, we pride ourselves that most of the time we can deliver same day. Next-day delivery is ideal, but two days advanced notice is customary for any local hauling service company.
I Need To Cancel My Order, How Do We Proceed?
A 24 hour notice is required. If your notification is not received in advance of 24 hours, there is a $100 cancellation fee.
How Long May I Keep My Happy Little Dumpster?
The good news is: We do include the day of delivery and the day of pickup, and a complimentary 3 day period with each dumpster. So, logically a total of 4 calendar days. Beyond that, there's a $5/day per diem use charge, maximum rental period is 30 days.
What Forms of Payment Do You Accept?
All major credit cards, checks from estate accounts, and cash. Sorry, we don't offer financing.
I Need My Dumpster Moved, How Do I Do That?
Call Us! We'll move it for you with our specialized equipment. If you move it yourself, you risk damaging it, damaging property, or injuring someone. Unauthorized movement of the dumpster will result in a $100 fee.
Are you open on Saturdays?
Our operational hours are 8am through 4pm, Monday through Friday. We do operate on Saturdays if the job is large enough to justify a full crew's operation payroll. So, just tell us what you need ahead of time, and we can plan accordingly. However, we are definitely closed Sundays.
Are There Any Additonal Fees I Need To Know About?
- Excess Weight. Please do not put loads of concrete, rock or dirt in the 12 or 18 yard dumpster. We do not operate dump trucks. Our maximum weight in the dumpster is 4 tons. If you fill a 18 yard up with dirt, it's likely to exceed 8 tons! We have convenient 6 yard dumpsters suitable to fill with aggregate, and heavy & dense material. Please let us know in advance you plan on filling with heavy material, and we can arrange to have a 6 yard dumpster brought out to you.
- Unauthorized movement of the dumpster
- Negligent use of excavation equipment. For some reason, people who use excavation equipment are notorious for running into the sides of the dumpsters. Don't be that person. Treat our dumpsters with respect!
- Overflowing debris. If we can't travel the dumpster down the road because debris is overflowing, this puts the safety of other drivers at risk and pollutes the environment you live in. You should not fill the dumpster with contents over the side. Depending on the situation, we may have to off load the debris by hand, and if we're unable to off load the debris, the dumpster will need to stay on-site until someone from your crew fixes it, and you'll be charged a $100 trip fee. It is possible that you have more debris than the container can hold, and in that event, you'll want to request another dumpster upon picking up the full dumpster.
- Restricted items. Tires, appliances w/ freon mixed in with trash, hazardous material, or liquids. We are a Solid Waste Hauler.